Step 1: create VPN configuration
- Go to https://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/vpnwg/ and log in with your RHRK account (without @rhrk.uni-kl.de).
- Use „Full Tunnel“. Unfortunaly there are problems on Ubuntu 21.10 with „Split Tunnel“ (It is necessary to set a route that prevents the VPN from trying to tunnel itself. on „Full Tunnel“ network-manager does that automatically. For IPv4-only-devices our VPN-Gateway is not inside the Split Tunnel-Range avoiding the problem. For Split Tunnel devices with IPv6 manuall Adjustment is necessary.)
- Name your VPN-Profile. This name helps you to manage your Profiles if you use the VPN on multiple devices.
- Create your VPN-Profile by clicking „create“
- download your VPN-Profile
- This VPN-Profile contails a key that is associated to your RHRK-Account. Please keep it as secret as your password.
- If you want to use multibles devices please create a new VPN-Profile for every device. Using the same VPN-Profile on multible devices at the same time will not work.
- If you forgot to download your VPN-Profile or have lost your VPN-Profile please delete it in the Profile-List and create a new one.
- Enter the following command and execute it by presing the Enter-Key
sudo apt install wireguard
- Confirm the installation by pressing the Enter-Key again
Step 3: Import VPN Configuration
- import the VPN-Profile using the following command:
nmcli connection import type wireguard file ~/Downloads/wgtuk-Full-Lapt.conf
- You need to change the path to the profile and the name of the profile to match where you put your profile in Step 1
- By import your VPN-Profile was activated automatically
- With the following command you can list your connections
- to disconnect the VPN use the command
nmcli connection down name-of-the-connection
- to reconnect to the VPN use the command
nmcli connection up name-of-the-connection